How Can I Get Pest Control for Birds?
There are many kinds of birds you can consider pests according to your global location. However, more common species of pest birds include pigeons, starlings, seagulls, Canadian geese, doves, and house sparrows. You might wonder what these innocent creatures have to do with the word “pest”. To your surprise, these pest birds cause millions of dollars of damage yearly. Before jumping on bird pest control, let’s have a bird’s-eye view of how they cause a nuisance.
What kind of damage can pest birds cause?
One of the main reasons we call birds pests is that they cause damage in the following ways.
- Bird’s parasites: Pest birds carry ectoparasites such as mites, ticks, and fleas. These parasites can infest humans. Bites from these bird mites cause severe itching and encephalitis in severe cases.
- Trichomoniasis: Most pigeons and doves carry a parasite, Trichomonas gallinae. The parasite affects the respiratory system and results in breathing difficulty.
- Histoplasmosis: The cause of this disease is a fungus that lives in soil rich in bird poop. People can inhale fungus spores that lead to mild or life-threatening infections.
- Psittacosis: Humans get this infection by inhaling this bacteria from dried bird droppings or handling feathers. The result is severe pneumonia in humans.
- Salmonella: This bacteria also resides in bird poop. It can cause typhoid and paratyphoid fever.
- Fowl pest: Another name is fowl plague or Newcastle disease. The virus transfers to humans through bird faeces. It can result in an eye infection (conjunctivitis).
Bird droppings cause irreversible damage. As these turn to salt and ammonia after rain, electrochemical reactions cause rusting. These droppings are acidic; hence, they eat away concrete, metal, and paint resulting in structural failure.
What is the most effective pest control for birds?
To get rid of birds, you can follow some techniques, such as:
Deprive them of feeding and watering sources
As a measure of pest control for birds, try to remove their food and water sources. Clean the gutters and cover all the puddles and ponds in your vicinity where they drink and bathe. Cover trash cans, and never spread food snacks like bread crumbs on the lawn.
Remove roosting places
Here comes another trick that works as pest control for birds. Trim trees and prune shrubs as pest birds attract dense bushes.
Adding obstructions such as bird spikes or sticky glue to the area where pest birds roost is another option. You can add a nylon or plastic net to the bottom of the rafters to close the area for birds roosting.
Another measure of pest control for birds is using non-toxic repellants in roosting places. For instance, anti-roosting gel, a sticky substance you can place on ledges.
Hunting or trapping
It’s a difficult job, but it is another way of pest control for birds. You can use non-lethal funnel traps, spring-loaded net traps, etc. If caught in these traps, you can humanely send pest birds away and release non-pest birds on the spot.
Hire professional services
If you cannot handle the situation, hire any professional service regarding bird pest control. The Exterminator Pest Control provides professional services to control pest birds. We have fully qualified staff to deal with pest birds. Also, we are available 24/7 and cover out-of-hours service without a call-out fee.
If pest birds are a nuisance, try any pest control for birds measure. Either remove their food and water or roosting places or place obstructions and repellants. However, all measures demand regular maintenance. If, despite all measures, you fail or want to try any professional, reach out to us, and we will make your lives easier. Thanks for the Read!