The weather is hotting up a little now, thank goodness, so we can all start thinking about spending increasing amounts of time outside. This time of year is certainly a beautiful one, with signs of life popping up here, there and everywhere – but this also means that we’re going to start seeing more wasps pop up here and there, as well.

If you have the bad luck to discover a wasp’s nest somewhere onsite, whether that’s at home or a commercial premises, you would be wise not to attempt to remove it yourself, as this can be a dangerous endeavour… one that even poses a risk to life, if you or anyone in the vicinity is allergic to stings.

To help with removal, get in touch with us to discuss wasp nest removal in Brentwood and the surrounding areas, so we can get the job done for you without undue fuss and disturbance.

It can be useful to know what to do if you are stung before we have a chance to come and dispose of the nest. The majority of bites and stings aren’t serious, luckily, and your symptoms should improve within a few hours or days, depending on the bite.

But they can cause severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) and they can become infected if you’re not careful, so it’s useful to know what to do in the event of a sting.

First of all, remove the sting if you can see that it’s still in the skin, then wash the area with some soap and warm water. Apply an ice pack or cold flannel for at least ten minutes to ease any swelling, raising the affected area if you can as this can also help with swelling.

Avoiding the temptation to scratch can help reduce the chances of developing an infection. Antihistamines and painkillers can be taken to ease your symptoms, as well.

Seek further medical advice if you’re worried about the sting, or if you’ve been stung near your eyes, in your mouth or in your throat. Symptoms of a severe reaction include dizziness, loss of consciousness, nausea, breathing difficulties and facial swelling.