The Buzzing Dilemma: How to Deal with a Wasp Nest in Your House
Spraying with wasp nest sprays and similar chemicals is a good choice, but only sometimes. Our homes have different types of nests with different threat levels. A common way to analyse a house wasp nest and its threat level is through size and location. This blog post discusses much-needed information and facts you must know before dealing with a wasp nest.
Signs and Common Nest Locations
Wasps travel 50 to 250 m away from their nest. They don’t go any farther. So, if you observe a few wasps flying around your home, chances are their nest is nearby.
In addition, wasps are very careful when choosing their nest spot. The most common nest spots are roof edges, tree gaps, wall cavities and under the shades.
Finally, when a house wasp nest comes into being, you will know it. Also, if you can see it from the start, destroy it ASAP before they decide to multiply.
Safety First: Protective Measures and Precautions
Safety practices are vital if you have a house wasp nest. Their stings can cause pain, swelling, itches and allergic reactions. In some cases, their stings can cause serious health concerns.
The best way to deal with a house wasp nest is to stop the wasps from entering your home. How do you do that?
- Don’t open your windows or doors without purpose.
- Don’t keep your food in the open air.
- Dispose of trash and seal the garbage cans.
- Wear yellow clothing.
- Cover the gaps, holes and cracks around your home and property.
DIY Wasp Nest Removal: Step-by-Step Guide
Use this method if you are confident enough and have done it before at least once. Don’t be careless and start at night.
- Wait for the dark and move slowly towards the house wasp nest.
- If it is accessible, cover it with a garbage bag. Ensure that the garbage bad doesn’t have any holes. Try blowing air to check.
- Detach the nest carefully and close the bag – put it in an airtight container and put it away from your home.
- Another method is to dissolve some detergent in a small bucket.
- Throw the solution on the nest. Remember to save some solution if some wasps are still moving. The wasps will fall immediately.
Calling in Professionals: When and How
If you have never dealt with a house wasp nest before, it is highly recommended to call in professionals. It is also vital when you have kids in the home or if your family is allergic to wasp stings.
A house wasp nest grows quickly; you must stop it before it becomes a huge problem. Calling in professionals like The Exterminator Pest Control can solve all your pest problems. Ask for a Free quote now, and thanks for the Read!